Phenotype MicroArrays for Mammalian Cells
Click here for a bibliography of published studies.
Phenotype MicroArray Technology is now available for applications with nearly any mammalian cell line, including primary cells. The first four PMs (PM-M1 to PM-M4) allow the simultaneous assay of 367 carbon metabolism and energy-producing pathways in cells. These PMs are novel and powerful tools in studies related to obesity, diabetes, nutrition, aging, mitochondrial funtion, cancer, and toxicology. They can be used for in-depth characterization of the metabolism of cells representative of different tissues, and they can be used to assay the effects of hormones and drugs on cellular metabolic pathways.
Uses and Applications with Mammalian Cells
- Monitor the stability of cell lines used in research.
- Identify previously undetected phenotypes.
- Detect cell variability that can decrease reproducibility of experiments.
- Use PMs as a tool to understand gene function.
- Conduct detailed comparisons of cell lines with genetic differences.
- Conduct detailed comparisons of cells with genes turned off with RNAi.
- Perform other comparisons of cell lines in basic research and drug target studies.
- Compare normal versus abnormal or diseased cells.
- Compare cancerous versus non-cancerous cells.
- Compare virus infected versus virus-free cells.
- Compare cells from various tissues.
- Compare cells in different states or stages of development.
- Determine changes in cells with senescence and aging.
- Determine metabolic properties of cells.
- Determine and optimize effects of culture conditions on cells.
- Find conditions that cause or inhibit cell differentiation.
- Use PMs as a tool to test drug leads
- Compare phenotypic changes caused by target gene inactivation versus drug addition.
- Determine MOA of drugs. Determine secondary and side effects of drugs.
- Test for drug synergies and antagonisms.
- Determine potential toxicology of drug leads in multiple tissue-derived cell lines.
- Improve Bio Processes with PMs
- QC fingerprint production strains and verify purity and stability.
- Optimize the culture medium for cell growth and product yield.
Perform cell proliferation and chemosensitivity assays
- Two novel redox dyes available to cover all cell types.
- Many advantages over MTT and Alamar blue.